Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Closed Holidays and Compressed Calendar Days)
Hugh Sutherland School
Email: Fax: email@example.com
Chinook’s Edge School Division Office: 1-800-561-9229
Welcome to Hugh Sutherland School!
Hugh Sutherland School is a learning community that is home to over 600 students in grade 3 -12. Hugh Sutherland School is located in Carstairs, Alberta, Canada. Carstairs is a town of approximately 3,880 residents. The town has a population base of long time farm families, Calgary commuters and oil and gas workers. HSS offers students a variety of academic programs as well as many extracurricular opportunities.
We are proud to be part of Chinook's Edge School Division, the largest rural school division in Alberta with 11,000 students in 43 schools.
A Quick Introduction to Hugh Sutherland School
- A 3-12 school organized as an elementary (3-6), junior high (7-8), and high school (9-12).
- Located on Hwy. #581 on the eastern edge of Carstairs.
- We have over 600 students.
- About 40% of students are bused, 60% live in town.
- Part of Chinook’s Edge School Division.
- Ranked 20 out of 279 Alberta high schools by Fraser Institute (2011-12)
- Double computer lab
- Video studio
- C.T.S. courses
- Classroom computers
- Full academic programs from 3 -12
- Industrial Arts, including woodwork, metalwork and automotive.
- Home Economics and Foods is an option at high school as well.
- French in grades 3 - 6 and an option in grades 7-12.
- Band, Creative Writing, extremely excellent science projects & Arts are options at middle school.
- Computers and Technology options.
- One part-time Learning Support teacher with support staff develops programs to meet a variety of special needs.
- Handicap access.
- High school academic and career counseling available.
- Family-School Liaison Worker counsels students with personal, family or social struggles. Available for family counseling.
Safe and Caring Atmosphere:
- Administration and staff work hard to help students succeed.
- Administration and staff work hard to create a climate of respect.
- No tolerance for violence, harassment or bullying.
- No tolerance for tobacco, alcohol or drugs on campus.
- Speakers and drama group presentations on current social issues.
- Breakfast Program
- Get Real
- Heroes and Heroes 2
- Girls Leading the Way
- Bring it on Boys
Athletics and Physical Education:
- Daily P.E. for elementary students.
- At the middle and high school levels there are off site activities – swimming, broomball, curling, and bowling.
- Athletics program has teams in volleyball, basketball, badminton, cross-country running, soccer, golf and track and field.
- Monthly newsletter. Available by e-mail
- Frequent classroom newsletters.
- Daily student agendas in Grades 3 - 6.
- Homework hotline available at hughsutherlandschool.ca.
- Three reports, one parent-teacher interview per semester.
- Frequent newspaper reports on school events.
Achievements and Celebrations:
- Hard work and achievement are recognized and rewarded.
- At or above provincial averages on Provincial Achievement. Top results in district on Diploma Exams.